Friday, December 9, 2011

New Blog, New Thoughts

Hello everyone! Well, since I just started this blog, there isn't anyone currently reading this, but eventually someome will.

For several years I had another blog that followed my life as an OTR truck driver.  You can find that blog at www.mylifeinatruck.blogspot.com if you want to catch up.  Last year I came off the road, and to be honest, I had started really slacking on that blog, but there wasn't much to blog about since I wasn't over the road anymore.  I figured I didn't have anything really interesting to say.  Maybe I just got burned out.  Regardless of why, I had stopped and now I am back.  This time I am going to blog about anything and everything.  Not just what happened during the day.  Who knows?  This blog really could go anywhere.

Currently I work for a company doing delivery of office and janitorial supplies.  When I came off the road I started Massage Therapy school at night so I needed a job that would work around that schedule.  I lucked into this job and have found that I really enjoy it and I am good at it.  I like dealing with people, so that part of my job is rewarding.  The bad part of the job is the fact that it is VERY physical.  I usually work 12 hours a day and drive a minimum of 300 miles.  I can have anywhere from 8-30 stops in a day, but usually around 20.  I drive a big box truck and everything is hand unload. 

I am actually the first female driver the company has ever hired.  I am sure the reason they haven't before is because of the physical nature of the job.  And let's face it, delivery drivers and truck drivers are mainly men.  It is a male dominated profession.  I know that my boss had reservations when he decided to give me a shot, and I know the only reason the hired me was because of my experience.  I have over a million miles under my belt.  So I know how to drive.  I just had to prove to him that I could handle the physical aspect of this job as well.

The first month was the roughest.  I'm not going to lie about that.  I got home and practically couldn't move because I was so sore!  But I am not the type to give up.  Partly I think I couldn't bring myself to quit because he had given me a chance.  I don't like to let people down.  But I am also the type of person that is willing to prove someone wrong.  If you think I can't do something because I am a woman, then I will most certainly prove you wrong.  I am not a big woman.  I am the exact opposite.  I am 5'2" and weigh 117 (according to the scales this morning) so that tells you I am not a big brute man looking woman.  I am petite.  That made it even worse for me when I first started because the other drivers would look at me and I could just hear them thinking, "Ha! She won't last a week!"  Well, I have now been here for a little over a year, about 13 months, and I have made a believer out of all of them!  I am very proud of myself and what I have accomplished so far.

As I mentioned above, I came off the road to go to Massage Therapy School.  I have completed that but I still have to complete my internship.  Once I get that done I can get my state license.  I am not worried about the licensing proceedure, I am trying to figure out how I am going to get the internship done while I am working full time.  I guess I am just going to have to put my nose to the grindstone and get it done.  I am not looking forward to the hours that it will require, but I know that it has to be done.

I have a lot more to say, but I guess I will save some for the days to come.  Until next time....

3 comments:

  1. Hello Tracey, I used to follow your OTR blog, and I am enjoying your new one!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, IM reading it. Now post more than you did on the other one. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still following. Hows the houseboat coming along? Would love to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete